Big Knit Cowl
This cozy neck warmer is a great beginner project, and can be made in a variety of vibrant colors. To get started, learn the basics of knitting.
Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2012
- Cast on 44 stitches. Place marker for beginning of round and join by knitting first stitch on left-hand needle with working yarn from right-hand needle, being careful not to twist stitches.
- Work in knit 2, purl 2 rib for 3 rounds.
- Change to stockinette stitch worked in the round (knit every round), and work until piece measures about 12 1/2 inches (32cm) from beginning.
- Weave in ends.
- Martha Stewart Crafts lofty wool-blend yarn from Lion Brand, 4 balls
- Circular knitting needle size 17 (12.75mm), 29 in. (73.5cm) long
- Large-eyed blunt needle
6 stitches = 4 inches (10cm) in stockinette stitch worked in the round (knit every round). Be sure to check your gauge.
Knit 2, purl 2 rib (worked in the round, multiple of 4 stitches)
Round 1: *knit 2, purl 2: repeat from * around.
Repeat round 1 for knit 2, purl 2 rib worked in the round.
Finished circumference: about 30 inches (76cm)
Finished height: about 14 inches (35.5cm)
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.