Hawaij (Traditional Yemeni Spice Mixture)
Use this spice mixture in the Hamshuka recipe from chef Uri Navon of Machneyuda restaurant.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2012
- 6 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- Place peppercorns, cumin seeds, cardamom pods, and cloves in a small skillet and toast over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder; grind and mix with turmeric. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.