Vanilla Ice Cream
Martha Stewart Living, April 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours 35 minutes
- Yield Makes About 1 1/2 Quarts
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and pod reserved
- 6 large egg yolks
- Combine cream, milk, and salt in a saucepan. Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar. Add vanilla bean seeds and pod. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar. Whisk half the hot milk mixture into yolks, 1 ladle at a time. Pour mixture into pan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Pour custard through a fine sieve into a bowl set in a larger bowl of ice water; discard vanilla pod. Let cool, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate custard until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Chill a loaf pan in freezer. Freeze custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until hardened, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. (If ice cream is in freezer longer than 2 hours, let soften at room temperature 10 minutes before scooping.)
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.