Raspberry White Cake
Photography: Jonathan Lovekin
Martha Stewart Living, April 2012
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves 12
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries (8 ounces)
- 2/3 cup raspberry jam
- Meringue Frosting
- 1/2 cup large-flake dried unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat three 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, line bottoms with parchment, and coat again. Whisk together flour, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. In a separate bowl, combine cream, milk, baking powder, and egg whites. Whisk in vanilla, almond extract, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Fold in flour mixture. Fold in raspberries, then divide among pans. Bake until golden and top springs back when touched, about 25 minutes. (Each cake layer will be approximately 1/2 inch in height.) Let cool in pans 30 minutes. Remove; let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread half the jam over top of 1 cake layer, and sandwich with another layer. Repeat with remaining jam and layer. Swirl frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top with coconut.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.