Baked Almond French Toast
For extra richness, use brioche or challah bread in this variation of classic French toast from TV chef Nora Singley.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2012
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for baking dish
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 (1 1/4-inch-thick) slices brioche or challah bread, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups Silk Pure Almond Vanilla Almond Milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Confectioners' sugar, for serving
- Fresh raspberries, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack set in center of oven. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together almonds, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter; set aside. Arrange bread slices in an even layer in prepared baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Pour over bread and let stand 5 minutes. Carefully drain custard from baking dish and pour over bread a second time, tilting baking dish to evenly distribute; let stand 5 minutes. Custard should be almost completely absorbed. Sprinkle evenly with almond mixture.
- Cover baking dish with parchment paper-lined foil and transfer to oven; bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until slightly puffed and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes more. Serve immediately with maple syrup, powdered sugar, and raspberries.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.