Add eggs, meats, and cheeses, and build a brunch buffet around these pillowy soft breakfast treats from Jason DeBriere of Peels restaurant in New York.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2012
- 4 cups White Lily flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed and well chilled
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, well shaken, plus more for brushing tops
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with a rack set in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add butter to flour mixture, and use your hands to mix just until medium pebble-size pieces form. Do not overmix. Add buttermilk and mix just until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Flatten and shape dough to form a 2-inch-thick square. Lightly flour top of dough; fold in corners and repeat process to create layers.
- Using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 8 biscuits, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush tops with buttermilk; transfer to oven and bake, rotating baking sheet halfway through, until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.