Gnocchi with Spicy Sausage, Caramelized Onions, and Broccoli Rabe
Take pasta night to the next level by making your own homemade pasta. Quick and easy potato gnocchi is the base of this tasty under-$20 meal from TV chef Sarah Mastracco.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2012
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 pound spicy sausage, casings removed
- Homemade Gnocchi
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil to a boil; add broccoli rabe and cook until stems are tender, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath. Drain broccoli rabe and transfer to ice-water bath. Drain and set aside.
- Bring another large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add sugar and red wine vinegar; cook until vinegar is completely evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add sausage to skillet, along with onions, using a wooden spoon to help break sausage up into small pieces. Cook, stirring, until sausage is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in reserved broccoli rabe and 1/2 cup water; keep warm until ready to serve.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and cook until melted; continue cooking until butter becomes lightly browned and fragrant, taking care not to let it burn, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in parsley.
- Meanwhile, add gnocchi to boiling water. When gnocchi begins to float to the top, let cook 2 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to skillet with brown butter; toss to coat and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide gnocchi evenly among four serving bowls; top with sausage mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.