Bacon-and-Escarole Grilled Cheese
Leftover bacon fat makes these sandwiches crisp and flavorful -- no butter required!
Everyday Food, March 2012
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 12 slices bacon (12 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar, sliced
- 1/2 small head escarole, trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off and reserve all but 1 tablespoon fat. In a small bowl, combine mustard and honey and spread on bread. Divide cheese and bacon among bread to make 4 sandwiches.
- Place skillet over medium; in batches, add sandwiches and cook until bread is golden and crisp and cheese is melted, 6 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway through and adding more bacon fat as needed. Open sandwiches, add escarole, close, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.