Slow-Cooker Sweet-and-Spicy Chicken
Everyday Food, March 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours 50 minutes
- Serves 6
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 chicken leg quarters (2 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (root end left intact)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced into rounds
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a large zip-top bag, combine cumin, cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; add chicken and toss to coat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until golden, about 4 minutes; flip and cook 2 minutes.
- In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, place onion, garlic, and ginger. Add chicken, skin side up, then top with tomatoes and their liquid and raisins. Cover and cook on high until chicken is tender, 3 1/2 hours (or 6 hours on low).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.