Whether you're planning an Oscars viewing party or a game-day celebration, add this crowd-pleasing seafood dish from chef Michael Anthony of Gramercy Tavern to your munchies menu.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2012
- Rock salt, for baking
- 12 top neck clams, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 large scallops, chopped
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Create a bed of rock salt on a large rimmed baking sheet; set aside.
- Place clams in a large bowl; add enough cold water to cover. Let stand to remove sand and grit.
- Place a large pot over high heat. Remove clams from water and transfer to pot along with wine and 1/2 cup water; cover and cook 1 1/2 minutes. Check to see if clams are open. Remove clams from pot, as they open, cooking until all clams are open. Remove clams from shells and cut into thirds. Rinse shells, split in half, and set aside.
- Strain cooking liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a medium saucepan and place over medium-high heat, cook until liquid is reduced by half and whisk in 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons butter. Place 1 cup panko in a large bowl; pour cooking liquid over panko and let stand until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; season with coarse salt and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add leeks and shallots and continue to cook until softened. Remove from heat and fold in panko mixture, parsley, clams, scallops, and lemon juice. Divide mixture evenly among cleaned clam shells; nestle shells in rock salt.
- In a medium skillet, heat remaining tablespoon butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add remaining cup panko and cook until golden. Remove from heat and sprinkle toasted panko over stuffed clam shells.
- Transfer to oven and bake until clams are heated through, about 8 minutes. Let cool 4 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.