Jasmine Shortbread Sandwiches with Grapefruit Curd
Martha Stewart Living, March 2012
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 4 hours 15 minutes
Yield Makes 20
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons ground organic jasmine tea
- Fine sanding sugar, for pressing
- 1/3 cup Grapefruit Curd
- Beat together butter and confectioners' sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the tea, and beat on low speed until just combined (do not overmix). Form dough into 2 disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Working with 1 disk at a time, roll out dough between pieces of parchment to a 1/8-inch thickness. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes. Cut out 20 squares with a 2 3/4-inch square cookie cutter, then cut each in half to make 40 rectangles.
- Gently press 1 flat side of 20 rectangles in sanding sugar, and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet, sugar side up. Bake until pale gold, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cookies cool on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining rectangles.
- Spread 1 generous teaspoon curd onto unsugared side of half the cookies, then sandwich with remaining cookies.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.