Sausage, Arugula, and Parsley Pizza
Martha Stewart Living, March 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
Yield Makes one 12-inch pizza
- 6 ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound store-bought pizza dough
- 3 whole peeled canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Garnish: flat-leaf parsley leaves and arugula, tossed with olive oil and vinegar, plus Parmesan shavings
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Remove sausage from casings. Saute over high heat until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Break into bite-size pieces.
- Brush a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 teaspoon oil. Press dough flat in the skillet, spreading to edge.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and red pepper. Spread over dough.
- Cook over medium-high heat until bottom is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to oven; bake 3 minutes. Scatter mozzarella and sausage on top; continue baking until edge of crust is golden brown, about 8 minutes. Garnish with parsley, arugula, and Parmesan.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.