Quinoa and Cucumber Salad
This nutritious, easy-to-make grain salad makes a smart side dish or a light entree. The recipe comes from "Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast."
The Martha Stewart Show
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Combine quinoa and the water in a medium saucepan; add salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and has absorbed all liquid, 11 to 13 minutes. (The germ ring should be visible along the outer edge of the grain.) Transfer to a medium bowl, and cool to room temperature.
- Add vinegar, oil, cucumber, scallions, and parsley; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.