Pressed Tofu and Peanuts in Spicy Bean Sauce
Serve this as an appetizer or snack, or as a meal with rice or noodles.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 12 to 14 ounces pressed tofu
- 2/3 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts
- 2 large green onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fragrant peanut or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Szechuan chile bean sauce
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chile oil
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes, and put in a large bowl. Add peanuts to tofu, along with green onions.
- Mash black beans with the flat side of a knife or pound with a mortar and pestle. Combine with peanut oil, sesame oil, and chile bean sauce in a small (1-quart) saucepan, and heat over medium heat until gently sizzling, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until very fragrant, 45 seconds. Remove from heat, and stir in soy sauce and sugar.
- Pour sauce over tofu, peanuts, and onions, and add chile oil to taste. With a spatula, distribute seasonings well. (You can make the tofu up to 2 hours ahead, then cover with plastic wrap.)
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.