A mixture of salt cod and olive oil, this has its origins in France, Italy, and Spain.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes, plus 3 days soaking
- Serves 8
Yield Makes 4 1/2 cups brandade
- 1/2 pound salt cod
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Slices of toasted or grilled country bread
- Soak cod, skin removed, in water, covered and refrigerated, for 3 days (change water twice daily). Drain, and cut into small pieces. Simmer milk, cream, garlic, and potatoes until potatoes are fork-tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add salt cod, and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Reserving 1 cup liquid, transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, stirring until mixture is almost smooth, and adding liquid if needed. Season with salt to taste, and drizzle with oil, if desired. Serve with warm bread.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.