- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for muffin cups
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for muffin cups
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 18 standard muffin cups. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. In a medium bowl, beat granulated sugar and butter with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Whisk in pumpkin puree until smooth, then whisk in molasses, eggs, and buttermilk. Add to flour mixture in 3 additions, stirring well to combine.
- Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until puffed and set, 35 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Let cool completely in pans on wire racks.
- Whisk together confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Spoon over muffins and let glaze set, about 15 minutes, before serving.
Refrigerate cakes in an airtight container, up to 1 week.