Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with liquid (from a 15-ounce can)
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- Chicken Soup Base (10 cups broth and 4 cups shredded chicken)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes and liquid, and chili powder and cook until most of liquid is evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss tortilla strips with 2 teaspoons oil. Bake until crisp and golden, 8 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Divide chicken, avocado, cheese, cilantro, and scallion among six bowls; top with broth and tortilla strips. Serve with lime wedges.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.