Vegetable and Tofu Pad Thai
Make a healthier version of the tasty Thai classic in less time than it takes to have it delivered. If you have fish sauce and aren't a strict vegetarian, substitute it for the soy sauce. It will give the dish deeper flavor.
Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 8 ounces dried wide, flat rice noodles
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving (3 limes)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm tofu, drained, thinly sliced, and patted dry
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons roasted salted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Soak noodles according to package instructions; drain. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, chili sauce, and brown sugar.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 teaspoon oil over medium-high, tilting to coat pan. Add eggs, swirl to coat bottom, and cook until just set, about 1 minute. Transfer eggs to a cutting board, loosely roll up, and cut crosswise into thin strips. Add 4 teaspoons oil to skillet and heat. Add tofu in a single layer and cook until golden brown on both sides, 7 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer to cutting board.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, carrots, garlic, and scallion whites to skillet and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add lime-juice mixture and bring to a simmer. Add noodles and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Add eggs and tofu and gently toss to combine. Season to taste with salt. Divide among four plates and top with peanuts, cilantro, and scallion greens. Serve with lime wedges.
Better Than Takeout: Make a healthier version of the tasty Thai classic in less time than it takes to have it delivered.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.