Pasta and White Beans with Broccoli Pesto
Cannellini beans are a high-fiber, low-calorie way to add protein to pasta dishes.
Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 10 ounces short pasta, such as fusilli
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan, finely grated (1/4 cup), plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 small garlic clove
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook broccoli until tender and bright green, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer broccoli to a food processor. Return water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 2 cups pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.
- To food processor, add oil, Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, parsley, and garlic. Puree until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down side as needed. Transfer pesto to pot with pasta. Stir to coat, adding enough reserved pasta water to make a creamy sauce. Stir in beans and heat over medium until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.