Baked Eggs in Chunky Tomato Sauce
Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange), stemmed, seeded, and diced small
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 ounces baby spinach (2 1/2 cups)
- Red-pepper flakes (optional)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and cook 3 minutes. Stir in spinach and pinch of red-pepper flakes, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer sauce to four 14-ounce gratin dishes or a 2-quart shallow baking dish. With the back of a large spoon, make 4 wells in sauce and crack 2 eggs into each. Bake until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 25 minutes, rotating dishes halfway through. To serve, top with goat cheese and cilantro.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.