Try something new and tasty with yogurt, ice cream, pound cake, or oatmeal.
Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes, plus cooling
- Yield Makes 6 cups
- 3 1/2 pounds apples, such as McIntosh, Gala, and Braeburn
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped prunes
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- In a large pot, bring apples, lemon juice, prunes, vanilla and 2 cups water to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are very soft and falling apart, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mash with a potato masher or pulse in a food processor until smooth with small chunks remaining. Add sugar.
- Let cool, then transfer applesauce to airtight containers.
Refrigerate applesauce up to 5 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.