- 3 1/2 pounds apples, such as McIntosh, Gala, and Braeburn
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (from 2 to 3 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- In a large pot, bring apples, cranberries, orange juice, and 1/2 cup water to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are very soft and falling apart, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mash with a potato masher or pulse in a food processor until smooth with small chunks remaining. Add sugar.
- Let cool, then transfer applesauce to airtight containers.
Refrigerate applesauce up to 5 days, or freeze up to 2 months.