Denver Omelet Cups
In place of ham steak, you can use crumbled sausage or diced turkey breast.
Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- 5 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups frozen hash browns (1 pound), thawed
- 6 large eggs, plus 2 large egg whites
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced small
- 4 ounces ham steak
- 3 ounces cheddar
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Coat 6 nonstick jumbo muffin cups with 1/2 teaspoon butter. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt 4 teaspoons butter. Add hash browns and 2 egg whites; season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Place 1/2 cup mixture into each muffin cup, firmly pressing into bottom and up side of each cup. Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, melt 1/2 teaspoon butter over medium. Add red onion, bell pepper, and ham steak. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide vegetable mixture evenly among cups and top with cheddar. Bake 2 minutes. Remove from oven and crack 1 egg into each cup. Season with salt and pepper and bake until whites are set but yolks are still runny, 8 to 10 minutes. With a small offset spatula, remove cups from pan and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.