Roast Pork with Brown Ale and Prunes
Pair pork with sweet dried fruits and hearty ale for a delicious one-pot entree. This recipe comes from chef Stephane Reynaud's "Rotis" cookbook.
The Martha Stewart Show, December 2011
- 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (2 3/4-pound) pork loin
- 2 cups brown ale
- 7 ounces pitted prunes
- 3 1/2 ounces dried apricots
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together shallots, carrots, cinnamon, and ginger until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a roasting pan over high heat. Add pork and cook, turning, until browned on all sides. Add the shallot mixture and transfer to oven; add 1 cup ale and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove pork from oven; add prunes, apricots, and remaining cup of ale to roasting pan and return to oven. Roast for 30 minutes more.
- Transfer roast to a serving dish and place roasting pan over low heat. Add butter and cook, stirring, until melted and well combined. Pour sauce over pork and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.