Prepare these elegant cookies using a leaf stencil. This recipe was adapted from "Martha Stewart's Cookies."
Martha Bakes, December 2011
Yield Makes about 6 dozen
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 10 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 6 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Sift together confectioners' sugar, flour, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Add butter, egg whites, cream, and vanilla. Stir until well combined; strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a leaf stencil in corner of a nonstick baking mat. Using a small offset spatula, spread batter in a thin layer over stencil. Carefully lift stencil. Repeat filling baking mat with leaves. Transfer baking mat to a baking sheet. Bake until tuiles are golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a small offset spatula, lift cookies and quickly drape over a rolling pin to cool, if desired.
- Repeat process with remaining batter. Store leaves in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.