Sour Lemon Cake
This tart treat from "Martha Stewart's Christmas" makes a thoughtful food gift -- if you can resist eating it yourself.
Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
The Martha Stewart Show, December 2011
Yield Makes two 6-inch round cakes
For the Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Zest of 2 lemons
For the Glaze
- 1/3 cup Cognac
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 24 <u>Candied Lemon Slices</u>
- <u>Candied Kumquats</u>
- Make the Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter and flour two 6-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with milk, mixing well after each addition. Stir in lemon zest.
- Place 2 3/4 cups batter in each prepared cake pan. Transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted into the centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly in pans; invert cake onto a wire rack.
- Make the Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together Cognac, lemon juice, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Brush glaze over cake and let cool completely. Serve with candied lemon slices and kumquats.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.