Lemon, Parsley, and Parmesan Plus Bread, Prosciutto, and Egg
This dish is a good use for day-old baguette or leftover Italian bread.
Photography: Hans Gissinger
Martha Stewart Living, January 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 baguette (15 inches long)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices thinly sliced prosciutto (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice 1/4 inch off the top of the bread, and hollow out bottom, discarding the crumb (soft interior) of the loaf. Cut top into 1-inch pieces, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, zest, milk, parsley, and Parmesan. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup bread pieces.
- Place hollowed-out bread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place prosciutto slices along inside of bread to cover. Slowly pour egg mixture to the brim. Bake until eggs are puffed up and cooked through, 30 to 33 minutes.
- Slice into 2-inch pieces. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.