Spelt Ribbon Pasta with Marinated Feta
This dish is best made with a creamy variety of feta, which melts perfectly into the warm pasta. Use a sheep-and-goat's-milk blend if you can find it; otherwise, a good fresh goat cheese or French feta works well.
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Martha Stewart Living, January 2012
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium red onions (7 ounces each), thinly sliced (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces spelt ribbon pasta, such as Eden
- 7 ounces marinated feta, French feta, or fresh goat cheese (1 1/2 cups, crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place grape tomatoes in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tomatoes have collapsed and are beginning to brown, about 45 minutes.
- In a heavy skillet over high heat, add remaining olive oil and the onions. Cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 25 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain pasta, and return to pot; add tomatoes and caramelized onions. Crumble 1 cup of feta over pasta, and gently toss.
- Divide among 4 plates, and garnish each with remaining feta and a drizzle of olive oil.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.