Lacinato Kale Salad with Roasted Squash
This salad is great for entertaining, because you dress it ahead of time.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 8
Yield Makes 12 cups
- 1 pound peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 1 1/2 bunches Lacinato kale, washed and patted dry
- 4 ounces aged goat cheese, shaved or crumbled
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts (1 1/2 ounces), roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper; toss well. Roast until golden brown, tossing halfway through, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place shallots on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and drizzle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until brown, tossing halfway through, about 30 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, combine lemon juice, flaxseed oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Cut 2 inches off bottom of kale, and slice leaves crosswise into 3/4-inch ribbons (you should have 12 cups loosely packed kale); add to salad bowl. Toss kale with dressing, squeezing until leaves are soft. Let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Add vegetables, cheese, and nuts to kale. Toss well to combine.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.