Pumpkin-Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Everyday Food, November 2011
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/4 cup, room temperature
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, melted butter, and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and whisk just until combined.
- Drop dough in 2-tablespoon mounds, 1 inch apart, onto two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until tops of cookies spring back when gently pressed, about 14 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat room temperature butter, 1/2 cup cream, cocoa powder, and confectioners' sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 minutes. Spread filling on flat side of half the cookies; sandwich with remaining cookies. To serve, dust with confectioners' sugar.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.