- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 3/4 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until fragrant and toasted, 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add bay leaf and hot water. Bring to a boil over high; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Add peas and almonds. Cover and cook until peas are warm and water is absorbed, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
This pilaf is good with beef stew, seared salmon, or bacon.