Apple-Butter French Toast Sandwiches
Eat Smart: Serve this sweet breakfast with fresh apple slices for extra fiber and vitamin C.
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Everyday Food, December 2011
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs and egg whites, granulated sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Place 4 bread slices in milk mixture and let soak 1 minute per side. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add soaked bread to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Wipe out skillet. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Spread each of 4 slices with 1 tablespoon apple butter. Top with remaining slices and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.