- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed, thoroughly washed
- 1/2 medium white onion, quartered lengthwise and halved crosswise
- 2 jalapenos, stems removed
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons)
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. When pan begins to smoke, add tomatillos, onion, jalapenos, and garlic. Blister vegetables, turning frequently, until blackened in places but still firm, 5 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a food processor along with cilantro, salt, and sugar and pulse until very finely chopped.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and add chicken broth. Simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice, and cool to room temperature.
- Salsa can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.