Maple Mountain Crunch Cake
Puff candy and cookie buttons add a delightful flavor and texture combination to angel food cake in this recipe from The Vermont Country Store.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2011
- 5 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons grade B pure Vermont maple syrup
- 1 (10-inch) homemade or store-bought Angel Food Cake, halved horizontally
- 2 bags (14-ounce) bags Chocolate Covered Puff Candy, coarsely crushed into 1/4-to 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups finely crushed Orton Bros. Maple Cookie Buttons
- Place the bowl and whisk attachment of an electric mixer in freezer until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Place heavy cream and maple syrup in chilled bowl and attach to electric mixer along with the chilled whisk attachment; beat cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold in crushed puff candy until just combined; do not overmix.
- Place bottom half of cake on a cake plate, cut-side up. Spread enough of the whipped cream mixture over cut side to make a 1-inch-thick filling; top with remaining half of cake, cut-side down.
- Generously frost entire cake with remaining whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle top with crushed maple cookies, allowing some to drop down the sides. Transfer cake to refrigerator; chill until whipped cream is set. Cake is best served the day it is made.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.