Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
- Attach a variety of Styrofoam balls together with glue and toothpicks to make an animal shape.
- To smooth the surface of the Styrofoam, cover animal with white tissue paper, applied with matte medium and a paintbrush.
- Create tail, ears, and nose with pipe cleaners.
- Paint lidded box, cover top of lid with fabric, and embellish sides of top with ribbon.
- Punch a hole on either side of box top. Thread wire through holes and into a loop over the top for hanging.
- Glue buttons or wood disks to bottom for wheels. To create the float "skirt," glue strips of the pleated part of cupcake liners around box bottom.
- Glue box lid to bottom and attach animal to lid with white glue.
- Styrofoam balls in a variety of sizes
- White glue
- White tissue paper
- Matte medium
- Pipe cleaners
- Small-lidded box
- Craft knife or scissors
- Fine-gauge wire
- Wire clippers
- Buttons or wood disks
- Cupcake liners
Author Melissa Sweet created these cute ornaments as an homage to the famous floats of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.