Chicken and Black Bean Nachos
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 2 cups poached, shredded chicken
- 10 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- Thinly sliced jalapeno, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in middle position.
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons safflower oil. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add black beans, cumin, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat.
- On a sheet pan or oven-safe platter, layer one-third the tortilla chips and top with one third the black beans, chicken, cheese, and salsa. Repeat layering twice more.
- Transfer to oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes, until cheese is melted throughout. Remove from oven, top with avocado, jalapeno, and sour cream, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.