Fig and Pancetta Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 6 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 ounces Black Mission figs, coarsely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage
- 12 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center position. Butter bottom and sides of a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, pancetta, and salt to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until pancetta begins to render fat and onions become translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and figs to saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Add orange zest and juice, orange liqueur, and sage to saucepan and stir to combine. Tear bread into large pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Pour contents of saucepan over bread along with eggs, and stir until well combined.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish, cover with foil, and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until top is golden brown and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes more.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.