Cowboy Rib-Eye Steak
- 1 3-pound bone-in rib-eye steak
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in center position.
- Pat steak dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- In a spice grinder, combine cumin, coriander, and peppercorns. Pulse until coarsely ground and transfer to a medium bowl. Add salt, paprika, brown sugar, oregano, and garlic and mix until combined.
- Rub steak on all sides with spice mixture and let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours or up to overnight in the refrigerator. If marinating in refrigerator, remove 1 hour before cooking to bring steak to room temperature.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Sear steak on both sides until blackened, 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to oven and roast 15 to 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into center of steak registers 125 degrees for medium-rare.
- Transfer steak to a carving board and let stand at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.