- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 meaty smoked ham hock
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large bowl, soak beans overnight covered by at least 2 inches of water. Drain and rinse beans.
- Place beans, ham hock, onions, garlic, salt, and bay leaves in a large pot and add water to pot just to cover beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Transfer ham hock to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, discard skin and bones, chop meat, and return meat to the pot. Serve beans directly from the pot using a slotted spoon.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.