Escarole and White Bean Soup
- 2 heads escarole
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Black pepper biscotti, for serving
- Fill a large basin with water and add escarole; drain basin, refill with water, and return escarole to basin. Repeat this process at least 4 times, or until basin is free of sand. Drain, and chop escarole into bite-size pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add escarole and cook 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add beans in their liquid, oregano, red-pepper flakes, chicken broth, and escarole. Raise heat and bring soup to a simmer; cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Place biscotti in individual serving bowls. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.