Mixed-Mushroom Gravy with Herbs and Madeira
Chopped mushrooms and shallots add just the right texture to turkey gravy in this recipe from TV chef Sarah Mastracco. Also try: Cognac and Grainy Mustard Turkey Gravy, Turkey Gravy with Fresh Herbs
The Martha Stewart Show
- 4 cups <u>Turkey Gravy</u>
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 6 ounces assorted mushrooms, such as white button, crimini, chanterelle, and oyster, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Madeira
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring turkey gravy to a boil over medium-high heat; immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Madeira and bring to a boil. Cook until Madeira is reduced to about 2 tablespoons; stir in thyme and season with salt and pepper. Stir mushroom mixture into simmering gravy; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.