Mad Hungry, November 2011
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cans freestone peaches, drained
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place flour, butter, 2 teaspoons sugar, salt, and baking powder in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cut ingredients together until the mixture resembles cornmeal. With hands, press mixture onto bottom and sides of pan, evenly coating.
- Arrange peaches evenly over top of crust. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over peaches.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until crust begins to turn golden and sugar is bubbling.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine heavy cream and egg yolks. Remove kuchen from oven and pour cream-egg yolk mixture over peaches. Lower oven temperature to 350 and bake kuchen 20-30 minutes more, until custard mixture is set. Allow to cool slightly, then cut. Serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.