Chicken Legs, Preserved Lemons, and Green Olives
Prepare an authentic Moroccan meal at home with this flavorful recipe from "Mourad: New Moroccan," by Mourad Lahlou.
The Martha Stewart Show
- 6 chicken legs with thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- Coarse salt
- 1 to 3 tablespoons duck or chicken fat
- 5 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 6 quarters <u>Preserved Lemon</u> rind
- 1/2 cup pitted cracked green olives
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Generously salt chicken legs on all sides. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon fat in the bottom of a stainless steel tagine over medium-high heat. Add 3 of the chicken legs and cook, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes on all sides, until well browned. Remove legs from pan and repeat process with remaining 3 chicken legs. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from tagine. If fat is burnt, discard and add remaining 2 tablespoons. Place tagine over medium-high heat, stirring often and adjusting heat as necessary, until rich golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove all racks from oven except for bottom rack so that tagine will fit. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add coriander, white pepper, ginger, saffron, and turmeric to tagine; cook, stirring constantly, until spices are lightly toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Return chicken legs to tagine; add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover tagine and transfer to oven; cook until chicken is tender and beginning to pull away from ends of drumsticks, about 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken legs from tagine and set aside. Return tagine to stove and simmer over medium-high heat until liquid is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Season with salt. Add lemons and olive; cook until heated through. Whisk in butter and herbs.
- Arrange chicken legs on a platter and spoon sauce over them; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.