- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 bunch Russian kale (about 1 1/4 pounds), tough stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 1/2 ounces goat's milk gouda, cut into 1/2-by-1/4-inch pieces
- 6 chives, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 Anjou pear, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced crosswise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown, tossing once during baking, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil; season with salt and pepper. Add in kale, cheese, chives, walnuts, and pear. Toss to combine.
Look for baby Russian kale for this salad. It's much more tender and flavorful than the other varieties.