Classic Tomato Soup
Serve with Sun-Dried Tomato-Parmesan Crisps.
Mad Hungry, March 2011
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 3 inch-by-1 1/2 inch piece Parmesan rind, plus grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Cracked black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute shallot and carrot with salt until soft and golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and Parmesan rind and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Season to taste.
- Puree in blender in batches.
- Divide among bowls and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper, and grated Parmesan, if desired. Serve with Sun-Dried Tomato-Parmesan Crisps.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.