Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Cheesy Polenta Waffles
Instead of all-purpose flour, this tasty fried chicken is prepared with C4C gluten-free flour in this recipe adapted from chef Thomas Keller's "Ad Hoc at Home."
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2011
For the Brine:
- 3 lemons, halved
- 6 fresh bay leaves
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup clover honey
- 1/2 head garlic (halved horizontally)
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 cup coarse salt
For the Chicken:
- 1 (2 1/4 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 10 pieces (2 legs, 2 thighs, 4 breast quarters, and 2 wings)
- Peanut or canola oil, for frying
- 3 cups C4C flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Sea salt
- Sprigs fresh rosemary, for garnish
- Sprigs fresh thyme, for garnish
- <u>Cheesy Polenta Waffles</u>
- Pure maple syrup
- Make the brine: Place all brine ingredients in a large saucepan and add 16 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; boil until salt is dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Cover and transfer to refrigerator until chilled, up to 3 days.
- Make the chicken: Place chicken pieces in chilled brine. Cover and transfer to refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Remove chicken from brine and rinse under cold running water; remove any herbs or spices sticking to skin. Pat dry with paper towels and let stand at room temperature until chicken comes to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Fill a large, deep pot 2 inches high with oil. Place over medium-high heat; heat until oil reaches 320 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Set a cooling rack over a baking sheet; line a second baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Divide evenly between two large bowls. Add buttermilk to a third large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken pieces first in flour mixture, then in buttermilk, and finally in second bowl of flour mixture; transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Carefully add legs and thighs to hot oil; cook, turning and monitoring oil temperature, until deep golden brown, 11 to 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to prepared rack skin-side up; season with sea salt. Increase oil temperature to 340 degrees. Add wings and breast pieces to hot oil; cook, turning and monitoring oil temperature, until deep golden brown, 6 minutes for the wings, 7 minutes for the breast pieces. Transfer to prepared rack and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Remove oil from heat and immediately add rosemary and thyme sprigs; cook until crisp, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Serve chicken with Cheesy Polenta Waffles and maple syrup. Garnish with fried herbs.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.