An old-time cocktail gets an update -- and a clever presentation -- in this recipe from chef Daniel Boulud and mixologist Xavier Herit's "Cocktails and Amuse Bouches."
The Martha Stewart Show, October 2011
- Filtered water
- Ice cubes
- 1 1/2 ounces 100-proof rye, such as Rittenhouse
- 3/4 ounce vermouth, preferably Carpano Punt e Mes
- 1/4 ounce maple syrup
- 8 drops peach bitters, such as Fee Brothers
- 4 drops Peychaud's bitters
- 1 orange peel
- 1 lemon peel
- Clean the inside of a latex balloon. Fill balloon with enough filtered water to fit in a cocktail glass; tie to close. Place balloon in freezer, suspended, so that nothing touches it and it keeps its shape. Freeze until frozen. Remove balloon from ice ball and discard; keep ice ball frozen until ready to use.
- Fill a large glass with ice cubes. Add rye, vermouth, maple syrup, and both bitters; stir to combine. Strain into a rocks glass and add ice ball; garnish with orange and lemon peels. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.