Based on the famous Linzer torte, these cookies combine the classic nutty and fruity elements but in a smaller package. Stars are nice, but by all means use cookie cutters of any kind (cookiecutter.com).
Martha Stewart Living, December 2011
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours
- Yield Makes 32
- 1/2 cup hazelnut flour
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup pecans (4 ounces)
- 2 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 6 tablespoons raspberry preserves
- In a medium bowl, whisk together hazelnut flour, 2 cups cake flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Pulse pecans and remaining 1/2 cup cake flour in a food processor until finely ground (but not wet); add to bowl with flour mixture.
- Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg. Reduce speed to low and beat in flour mixture until combined. Divide dough in half, shape each half into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll out each disk of dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Refrigerate on a baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Cut out star shapes using a 3-inch cutter. Cut a star from the center of half the cookies using a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter. Transfer cookies to parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing each 2 inches apart.
- Bake until pale gold, 13 to 14 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheets set on wire racks for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks, and let cool completely.
- Dust cookies with confectioners' sugar. Spread 1/2 teaspoon preserves onto the center of each uncut star; top with cutout stars, offsetting, if desired, to create a "burst."
Dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks and frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw before using. Unfilled cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. Fill with preserves just before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.