- 12 clementines, plus 12 more for juicing
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 slice (1/2 inch) peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Slice the top 1/2 inch off each clementine; reserve. Cut around flesh and scoop out into a sieve set over a bowl; reserve skins and be careful not to tear them. Press flesh to extract juice. Squeeze in juice from tops. (You'll have about 1 cup.) Juice more clementines to yield 2 cups.
- Moisten clementine skins with some juice or water. Roll skins in 1/4 cup sugar to coat. Freeze until solid, about 2 hours.
- Bring remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and ginger to a boil in a saucepan, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Let stand for 30 minutes; discard ginger. Stir in 2 cups juice and the lemon juice; transfer to a nonreactive 8-inch square baking dish. Freeze until solid, about 3 hours.
- Scrape granita with a fork to fluff. Spoon granita into clementine "cups." Freeze for 10 minutes before serving.
Granita can be frozen for up to 2 days. "Cups" can be frozen for up to 2 days (unfilled) or 1 day (filled).