- 10 ounces Chinese wheat noodles (mein), or rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon safflower or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Thai yellow curry paste (from one 4-ounce jar or can)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lemon
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Boil noodles according to package directions. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Toss with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook curry paste, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in stock. Raise heat, and bring to a boil. Whisk in coconut milk. Cook until just simmering (do not boil).
- Cut lemon in half, and squeeze 1 half into saucepan. Cut remaining half into 4 wedges. Divide noodles and soup among 4 bowls. Garnish with basil, cucumber, and lemon wedges.
Noodles can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before using.